To build robust shoulders you need to target them from multiple angles to activate all three heads of the deltoid muscle. Dumbbells are the perfect tool for the job. While barbell moves often require a spotter, and most machines fix your movement in one plane of motion, dumbbells require all your stabiliser muscles to work, force your core to hold everything together and offer plenty of versatility with every exercise.
Workout 4: Shoulders (Week 1)
1A Overhead press
Sets 4 Reps 10 Rest 0sec Tempo 2010
- Stand tall holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height.
- Keeping your chest up, press the weights directly overhead until your arms are straight, then lower them back to the start.
Why: The key to building bigger, wider shoulders is to make these muscles work through their full range of motion, so make sure you lower the dumbbells all the way back to the start position at the end of each rep.
1B Lateral raise
Sets 4 Reps 10 Rest 60sec Tempo 2010
- Stand with dumbbells by your sides and palms facing each other.
- Lean forward slightly, then raise the weights to the sides, leading with your elbows.
- Slowly lower them back to the start under control.
Why: This is a fantastic move for hitting your side delts – the section of the shoulder muscles that, when developed, creates a strong and wide upper body to help create the coveted V-shaped torso.